It’s a new month and a chance for us all to have a fresh start. I decided to put together journal prompts to use throughout the month of September. A few months back I wrote a post talking my journey of self-reflection during the lockdown. In the post, I spoke about how the pandemic made me look deeper into myself and my life.
I’m naturally quite a reflective person anyway but that level of self-reflection just hit differently. To document my thoughts, feelings and doodles during that time I committed myself to journal again. Which alongside prayer has been my saving grace.
“A regular practice of journaling offers you the chance to explore your innermost thoughts and emotions, to know yourself better, and to engage in the most intimate and most important relationship you can ever have: with your true self”.HuffPost
Now, I know journaling isn’t for everyone but if you’ve never tried it before I’d highly recommend giving it a go. It’s a great way to review your thoughts and feelings in a safe and healthy way. There is no strict journaling routine either because you can simply do what works well for you and your lifestyle. I prefer to journal daily but sometimes I don’t get a chance to honour that commitment. And that’s ok.
What Are Journal Prompts?
Journal prompts are basically simple statements designed to inspire you or offer you an idea of what to write. They’re also a great way to help people that are new to journaling get in the groove of journal writing.
I love using journal prompts because when my mind is in a funk about something prompts help me to process things better.
What Can You Journal About About?
There is no real formula when it comes to journaling. You can journal about anything that your heart desires. It’s a free-flowing writing experience that you can tailor to suit yourself and your needs.
Below I’ve listed a few journal prompt ideas;
- Bible scriptures
- Travel memories
- Daily devotionals
- Childhood memories
- Personal Confessions
- Three Things I
- 100 things I love
- Thoughts from the week
- Love letters
- Dream triggers
- How did your day go
- Daily Intentions
Journal Prompts for September 2020 by JWV
- Make a list of 30 things that make you smile
- What does unconditional love look like for you?
- If my body could talk, it would say?
- When was the last time you did something nice for yourself?
- Write about your first love — whether a person, place or thing?
- Do you have a philosophy of life? If so, what is it? If not, what is your method for making important decisions?
- Who is someone you miss?
- The most terrifying moment of my life was….
- Look through your photographs and choose a few to write about.
- Three things you’d do if you weren’t so afraid?
- Make a list of everything you’d like to say yes to
- I feel happiest in my skin when…
- Write the words you need to hear.
- What would you do if you loved yourself unconditionally? How can you act on these things whether you do or don’t?
- Is there anything you feel guilty about? Is there anything you need to be forgiven for?
- What’s your secret desire?
- Your top five short term goals
- Places you’ve enjoyed visiting
- What scares you?
- List the people you most admire
- In what areas are you optimistic, and in what areas are you pessimistic?
- The words I’d like to live by are…
- If I could talk to my teenage self, the one thing I would say is…
- What can you learn from your biggest mistakes?
- Make a list of everything you’d like to say no to.
- What is your what?
- Make a list of everything that inspires you — books, websites, quotes, people, films, places etc
- What do you love about life?
- Using 10 words, describe yourself
- What’s something you disagree with about the way you were raised?
Start fresh with The Old English Co
Feel free to do a journal prompt a day for the entire month. It’s entirely up to you which way you decide to go. If you’re in search for a new notepad to journal check out Old English Co. The company specialises in personalised stationery, greeting cards, accessories, enamel pins as well as art wall prints for the home and office.
I was sent out a personalised notebook in black and good with a positive affirmation and my name on it. It’s perfect and very on-brand. All JWV readers can enjoy 15% off using the following code –OESPECBR15 at checkout.
Please note this is a gifted post in collaboration with the Old English Co.
Lots of love
“You’re braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think” – A. A. Milne Christopher Robin